Friday, April 24, 2009

Port Moresby Adventure

A few more potos of Port Moresby, people and places...
Below is a Billum stall at the Boroko Market. I bought some hand woven billums here to add to my online store. The variety of colours and patterns is incrdible and each design has its own name/s like traditional quilt blocks do! they are constantly adding new ones with names like "power lines", "computer".
Myself, Dame Carol Kidu who opened the Exibition and Village Workshop, Marilyn Ward and my sister, Susan poseing in front of my Pacific Stained Glass quilt commissioned by Susan last year. Dame Carol had just given a welcome speech to the partucipants at the worksop. She is a strong advocate (as is my sister ) for the rights and opportunities of Papua New Guinean women.
The entrance to the exhibition, Feelings of Place, was opened with the Bird of Paradise quilt I made for the workshop. You can see some of my quilts to the left, and some of the lovely works of the Port moresby Quilt Group to the right.
Leanne holds up her version of the quilt from the workshop. She machine appliqued a palm tree image she had worked on, after sketching and planning, instead of the Bird of Paradise, then added the borders and folded flowers from the original quilt. Very creative and effective.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy - make a comment! You've made my day ♥