Monday, June 8, 2009

Autumn

Autumn is my favourite season. When I lived in Melbourne, I used to love the smell of woodsmoke at twilight, and shuffling through huge drifts of crinkled brown and gold Elm leaves on the side - walk and in the Botanical Gardens, in my black suede pointy-toed boots!
I moved to the Tropics, living in Indonesia for two years, then Darwin in the Northern Territory. I didn't think I'd ever see autumn leaves again or smell the smoky crisp evening air.
But then I came to Maleny, and Autumn puts on a lovely show.
This year it's been particularly spectacular with the large Liquid Ambers scattered through the town and its gardens, more intensely coloured than any other year.
We went to some open gardens on the weekend and coloured leaves were everywhere.
There were gold and brown carpeting the ground thickly...
Red ones still clinging tenuously to trees...


and masses of flaming fed, gold and purple ones welcoming people to town in our park.


When I first moved to Maleny, I made a quilt called "Autumn at Last" ( which became my first Magazine commission in Quilters' Companion) I was so insired by the colours and the season.

And right now, I have just about finished a private commission for a Maple Leaf quilt from that same pattern. That will be my next post.
Keep warm in the chilly winter nights and mornings,
Ann.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy - make a comment! You've made my day ♥