Sunday, July 19, 2009

Inspiration and Experimentation

I'm having a bit of trouble with this post! Firstly, all the photos went up in the reverse order to what I wanted for the story and because they're large, I can't shift them around! So I'll have to start at the end...
I was inspired by Sarah Fielke's posting of her sketches on her fantastic blog, The Last Piece, and decided to post some of my working notes for commissions etc.
This is my latest project going up on the wall:


It's based on the Patricia Bravo design for her Gypsy Bubbles fabric range, published in Quilters Companion 2 issues ago. I bought the fabrics for stock and wanted to make the quilt as a sample - But I wanted to also use it to try out a different method of curved piecing which I hadn't quite worked out.
This is the original design in the magazine.I clipped this article and added it to my sketch book.


Meanwhile, I found this book about fusible curves with a different approach. I hate fused applique because it's stiff and the fabrics underneath are often visible through the applique. Yuk! But the Elaine Waldschmidtt's technique eliminates that AND makes curved piecing easy! I bought the book because I've had a plan in my mind for a while but didn't want to set in all the curves.


And this is my original idea and sketches for a modified Drunkard's Path block. I call it "Mill Wheel" but couldn't find the exact design in Jinny Beyer's Quilter's Album of Blocks and Borders. I sketched it out and worked out how to construct it, but was daunted by the piecing which I prefer to do by machine.


The original inspiration came when I glimpsed the quilt in the movie, Nights in Rodanthe. That film is sooo beautiful to look at! I paused it, noted the colours in the scene and drew a quick sketch of the basic block. And that's how it all started.
Now I need to finish the Gypsy Bubbles quilt, to fine tune the technique, then I'll make the Rodanthe Quilt!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy - make a comment! You've made my day ♥