Friday, April 23, 2010

The Sewing Circle

I've been stitching Robyn Allen-Waters, The Sewing Circle for over a year now! It was actually one of my first blog posts back in 2009.
I finally sewed the last stitch in the embroidery blocks a week or so ago, and here they are being trimmed to size for sewing into the quilt. It was quite a departure in style for me. Firstly, it's designer's concept and, and secondly it is primarily a hand embroidered work. I can honestly say, it's the first embroidery I've done since college art class. And I really enjoyed it! It was a bit s l o w (for a machine quilt piecer) but...
It was surprisingly satisfying!
I decided to frame the embroideries with a lovely black and ivory stripe and use a Boutique Layer Cake, with a retro theme and softish but rich colours - similar to the ones I used in the stitching- for the pieced quilt part.

I set it all out on the wall and I've started started sewing it now. Actually I've almost finished sewing it together, but you'll have to wait for more on this in the next post.
I added some special vintage bits to the mix and I think it's looking pretty nice. A slow project seems to add another dimension to your life. Not sure about the quilting now...
We'll see.
xo xo Ann.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. slow projects are ofen the best ann - it looks good. I think you live in a wonderful part of the world there ...Its one of my favorite places...havent bee there for years though it lives on in my memory

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love catching up on your blog, Ann. Will pop in when we are on the mountain again but will probably catch up this weekend at the show. See what the Skinnicinno's are up to on my blog

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy - make a comment! You've made my day ♥