Tuesday, May 10, 2011

2010 Closure Quilt - Patched Work


The 2011 Closure Quilt is coming to a close!
I tried it out on Amelia's bed straight after I'd basted it. It looked good and felt good, she said, even with the safety pins still in it.
I decided to machine quilt it in the ditch following the squares, which was a little bit trickier than usual because I pressed the seams open on the back - so eliminating an actual ditch to stitch in.
I wanted to add an extra rustic, hand made-ish touch by doing some hand quilting also. I have a huge African basket full of multi coloured Perle 8 threads, and I'm picking them out at random and quilting cross hatch across all the squares.
It doesn't stand out as much as I thought it would, but I'm quite happy with it.
The problems are:
1. There are four layers to quilt through because I pieced the crazy log cabins over foundation fabric squares and,
2. When I basted the quilt I noticed that some of the fabrics' edges hadn't been caught in the seam with the sew and flip method, so I have to mend as I sew ;(
I'm calling the quilt Patched Work
I'll show you more when I finish,
Ann ♥
P.S. Clearly Dolly has made it her own already, while it was still under the sewing machine!

2 comments:

  1. love it xxxmimi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely quilt Ann, as usual! Your cat is as bad as mine, I use a "practice at quilting quilt" for my cat, and she appears to enjoy it. You'll have to do the same.!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy - make a comment! You've made my day ♥