Thursday, March 15, 2012

How to make an Australasian Quilt : Project in Quilters' Companion this March.


I know you're probably sick to death of hearing about the Australasian Quilt by now, but last story I promise ;)
Here it is again, finally, presented as a project for you to make in the March issue of Australian Quilters' Companion magazine.
I'm very happy with the photos (in the article - not my dodgy iPhone one above) and really wish that was my actual garden. The quilt does look nice, and hopefully there aren't any typos that escaped detection in the instructions ....
I don't  know how much I told you about the making of the Bali Sunset quilt? The original quilt was sold so I started the Bali one to have a quilt to work out the pattern instructions on. I've never made a quilt totally out of Bali batiks and I have to say it was a nice experience. I gathered a pile of sunset hued fat quarters and got started.


Bali Sunset fabrics
Then I started cutting and making notes, not necessarily in that order, to fine tune the pattern. I usually work in a plain notebook and just draw freehand any ideas I have. Then I flesh it out with the maths - measurements, quantities etc. 
Australasian working plan diagram.
The first block of Bali Sunset is complete
And here it is hanging in my shop. I like the way it turned out, a bit like a watercolour painting  with the different batik textures and surface designs.

I would really like to make another version using modern designer fabrics and perhaps a solid white for the sashing strips. It will happen one day, but for now I have a few other things in the pipeline.

A Walk in the Woods
Anyway, enough about me.
On the fabric scene....How beautiful is this?
Aneela Hoey's new collection for Moda, A Walk in the Woods. These two fabrics have just come into the shop and are available online, with some more and charm packs and jelly rolls arriving (again) next week. So if you missed out before, you have a second chance. There aren't many opportunities like that in life.

Have a good weekend,
Ann ♥



No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy - make a comment! You've made my day ♥