Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Hello Luscious Layer Cake "Framed" Quilt Finish


This is my little Dolly cat trying out the finished Layer Cake "Framed" Quilt which I blogged in a tutorial here. Doesn't it look Luscious? Just like the name of the Layer Cake I used, Hello Luscious by Basic Grey. Their latest collection is Little Black Dress, and I've kept a Jelly Roll in that to make something with…. I think this quilt would look so stylish in the black, cream, grey and taupe of a Little Black Dress Layer Cake.
 These quilts go together so easily! I used a funky Hunky Dory pink swirly backing on the quilt and bound it using a machine binding technique. For this, you cut your binding strips 2 3/4 inches wide. make the binding in the usual way, then attach it to the back of the quilt. Later, you bring it over to the top and machine sew it close to the edge. It makes a very neat finish to the quilt and is done in a fraction of the time it takes to hand sew. The binding fabric was a pink Grunge Basic from The Hello Luscious Range.

 I machine quilted with my Janome, using the square blocks as a guide, alternating vertical and horizontal lines. This was done with the darning foot attachment so I could freely move up and down and side to side. I was happy with the effect - plenty of quilting, a nice crinkly texture and cream thread all blended the quilt together well.



Any Layer Cake will work with this pattern, and the quilt itself is a manageable size to machine quilt at home on your regular sewing machine - always rewarding! You could also use your own fabrics of choice, cut into 10 inch squares to start with.
Moda Layer Cakes 
 Here's Dolly again, right in the middle of the quilt of course. This is one of the photos I used to update my blog and Facebook page. I'm also planning a website update soon too! Don't forget, if you make one  of these quilts, I'd love to see it - either shared on Facebook, Pinterest or you could even send me a photo to share for you.
Happy stitching,
Ann.
This quilt is FOR SALE @$165.00 
SOLD

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy - make a comment! You've made my day ♥