Friday, March 13, 2009

A Passion for African Fabric, Quilting and now, Hexagons

My passion for African Fabric (indeed all fabrics Ethnic influenced!) has led me to make yet another African inspired quilt, "African Hexagons". You can see this one, and make your own version of it too, in the March Issue of Down Under Quilts . I thought it presented really well in the article, any comments would be welcome. It's the second quilt I've made using my interlocking Hexagon Rulers (available from my website) and is one of the quilts in my upcoming "Feelings of Place" exhibition in Port Moresby. The exhibition features many of my Ethnic Inspired quilts from just after I moved from Darwin to the present day.
The exhibition quilts mainly use African, Indonesian, Indigenous Australian and Pacific printed fabrics...some would describe them as polarisers.
I don't mind. I'm glad my quilts draw strong emotional responses from their viewers! In fact, most of the quilts are in Port Moresby now and I've actually just sold the first one at a private viewing!
(Click on the exhibition quilts link to view a web album of the quilts.)
The exhibition will be hosted by the Port Moresby Quilt Society at the Ela Beach Hotel on Friday 3rd April 7.00 PM. A selection of their unique works will be displayed, including their amazing raffle quilt designed by Rhoda Bennett and featured in Australian Patchwork and Quilting magazine. Dame Carol Kidu , the special guest will open the exhibition and and all proceeds will be donated to the local charity, WeCARe!
It's going to be a unique and exciting experience for me.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy - make a comment! You've made my day ♥