Sunday, December 11, 2011

Bags


I recently made some bags.
I've never been really into bag making - I'd rather make a large hand quilted quilt than a small and fiddly bag. However, I found some really good ones in Susan Briscoe's new book, Japanese Quilt Inspirations. I decided to make the Kaban (Tote) Bag and the Komebukuro Bag (Rice Bag).
Kaban Bag - one side
I really wanted to feature some of the gorgeous funky new fabrics in the Critter Community range by Suzy Ultman. I love the owls and some of the funky coordinates in this collection. I found the bag really easy to make. Just used some left over scraps of bamboo wadding to pad, and some old jeans (that no longer fit *sob*) for the base, trim and handles. I think the bag is nice with orange top stitching like on jeans, and I like the way I adapted the pattern from the original patchwork block, to the more modern casual look of two fabrics.
Kaban Bag - the other side
You can see my mum's old Singer in the pics. It's an original 50's model, manufactured in Australia and still goes like a steam train engine. Great for getting through some of the bulky seams on these bags. The Komebukuro bag was also fun to make. I used a Moda Charm Pack, Oh My!, instead of Susan's pieced blocks for the sides and it worked out really well - 2 bags from one charm pack. Bargain! Just another amazing use for the charm squares.
Komebukuro Bag

Dusty
Finally, the kitty story. Here's the lovely Dusty keeping me company as I cut I Spy Squares for the I Spy Packs I sell. He always manages to find a spot nearby in the early hours of the morning or the wee small hours of the night when I engage in sewing related activities!
I'm really not used to these new Blogger settings yet - nothing seems to go where you want it to...

  Just into the store - Alexander Henry, Itty Bitty Berry, and Moda  Always & Forever. Think sweet sticky peppermint candy and berry sorbet with these delicious new additions. Very girlie, very pink and pretty, with dashes of green and grey
xo xo Ann

5 comments:

  1. Hi Ann,

    I love your bags, especially the smaller ones. I'm still sewing on my 35 year old Bernina, there's a lot to be said for the older machines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MERRY CHRISTMANS AND
    A HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MERRY CHRISTMANS AND
    A HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For beauty, creation, friendship receive a prize to me on blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The smaller bags look nice and cute. I have never tried to make my own bags or shoes or dresses.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy - make a comment! You've made my day ♥